The former policeman who killed at least 36 people, including 24 children, during a knife and gun rampage at a daycare center in northeast Thailand on Thursday had been dismissed from his post last year over drug allegations and he was facing trial on drug charges.
The man had been in court earlier in the day and had then gone to the daycare center to pick up his child, police spokesperson Paisal Luesomboon told ThaiPBS.
Deadliest Mass Shooting
In one of the world's worst child death tolls in a massacre by a single killer in recent history, most of the children who died at the daycare were stabbed to death, Thai police said. The children at the center were between the ages of two and five, a local official told Reuters.
The man later shot his own wife, their four-year-old son then turned the gun on himself.
The shooting took place in Uthai Sawan, a town 500 km (310 miles) northeast of Bangkok.
Official Announcement
At a news conference late Thursday evening in Thailand, Dr. Surapong Phadungwiang, a provincial health official, gave an updated death toll, confirming that 36 people had been killed, not including the gunman.
Photo: YouTube
© 2025 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Trade confidently with insights and alerts from analyst ratings, free reports and breaking news that affects the stocks you care about.